By now, everyone should have heard Far East Movement’s ‘Like A G6’ excessively on the radio, but if you’re like me, you didn’t know that the idea from this song came from another artist. Sampling is rather common in the music industry and that’s exactly what Far East Movement did with their hit song by sampling a song from singer, Dev. So, who is Dev, aside from being the voice behind the chorus to ‘Like A G6?’ Let’s delve into the world that is Dev.
- She was born Devin Tailes on July 2, 1989 and is of Mexican and Portuguese descent.
- When she was four, she was part of the U.S. development program when she started swimming.
- After posting a cover of an Amy Winehouse song on Myspace, she was discovered by indie hip hop duo The Cataracs and dropped out of college to pursue her career.
- The video for “Booty Bounce,” the song which is sampled in Far East Movement’s song, was released in August 2010
- She was signed to Universal Republic in October 2010
- Her first official single for Universal Republic is “Bass Down Low” and was released in November 2010 to the radio (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOAMfUJ3tsc)
- She describes her music as SWAG-POP, independently popular while others have described her as electro-crunk and electro hop.
- Dev has been compared to the likes of fellow musician, Ke$ha, because of their style but Dev believes that if people will listen, they will see her for who she really is.
- She has been influenced from all sides of the musical spectrum, citing influences ranging from Elton John to Incubus to MIA and even saying Eminem changed her life when she was younger.
- She has been working with the Cataracs since 2009 on her debut album, set to be released in 2011. To tide you over, she just released a new song, “Killer,” on December 27, 2010.
- You can follow Dev through her own personal blog at http://devishot.com and follow her rise in 2011 on Twitter, Facebook and Myspace
Now that you’ve learned who the girl is behind ‘Like A G6,’ tell ME: Do you think she has what it takes to be a huge star or will she blend in with the likes of Ke$ha and Lady GaGa?
– Brittany Beverly