Although the name Skylar Grey may not sound too familiar (yet), she’s worked on tons of things that you probably have heard of. Skylar Grey is the stage name of Holly Brook Hafermann, a multi-instrumental singer, songwriter and record producer. Here are ten things you should know about this sure-fire star.
1. As a child growing up in Wisconsin, Grey performed professionally in a folk duo with her mother called Generations.
2. Skylar started her first band at the age of fifteen, and has worked with jazz musicians such as Jeff Eckles and Leo Sidran.
3. In 2006, Grey released her first album “Like Blood Like Honey” and toured as the opening act for artists like Daniel Powter, Teddy Geiger, and Duncan Sheik.
4. Machine Shop Recordings signed Skylar, and she performed on Fort Minor’s “Where’d You Go” under the name Holly Brook. After she released her debut album her contract was cut short when sales didn’t do so well.
5. Not only does she sing, but she writes music too! Grey has worked on numerous versions of Rihanna’s “Love The Way You Lie” with British hip-hop producer Alex da Kid.
6. Skylar is working on music with Kid and is signed to his production company, Wonderland Records.
7. You already know her voice! Skylar is also featured on Dr. Dre and Eminem’s brand new cut, “I Need a Doctor,” Diddy Dirty Money’s “Coming Home” and Lupe Fiasco’s “Words I Never Said.”
8. One of Grey’s all-time favorite movies is “Brazil.”
9. Skylar sang the original demo version of “Love The Way You Lie” recorded.
10. Her writing contribution to Eminem and Rihanna's "Love The Way You Lie" landed Skylar a Grammy nomination for "Song Of The Year" and "Best Rap Song."