We caught Andy Grammer at the inaugural session of the Homegrown series at The Grammy Museum to get the scoop on what he’s been up to these days. Here are 10 awesoME things about the singer/songwriter.
1. Andy gets a lot of influence from Piano Rock, Acoustic Guitar and Hip Hop. He said “Sublime” and “Miseducation of Lauryn Hill,” were two of his favorite, most influential albums.
2. He has an amazing band. Let ME introduce you: Will Gramling rocks the keys, Zach Rudulph on the bass, Mike Lindsay on the drums and Jacob Fatoorechi on the guitar. With their powers combined, they can’t help but put on an awesoME show.
3. His album, “Andy Grammer,” is dedicated to his mom, who passed away. When he closed down the show with “Ladies,” he said there was no way he would have written a song like it if it weren’t for his mom. He said she comes out through the entire record.
4. He sings, plays the piano, guitar and he can beatbox. We wonder what else he’s hiding up his musical sleeves?
5. He keeps his friends close and “enemies” closer. When you’re battling out between acrobats, a singing three-year-old and hot break dancers on Santa Monica’s Third Street Promenade, it’s survival of the coolest. Andy made friends with all of the performers (or buskers, they’re also known as), and even invited the break dancers, like Candyman, to perform at his shows.
6. He’s a great salesman. Andy had to get creative to get himself heard. He told a story of a gig in a college in Iowa. Nobody showed up. Andy grabbed his guitar, went to the cafeteria and screamed, “Hey, I’m going to play you a song!” He played in the middle of the caf and invited everyone to go to his show.
7. Andy graduated from Cal State Northridge and majored in music business, because it was the closest major that dealt with what he wanted to do— be a musician.
8. He knows how to write for the ladies. If the amazing songs “Ladies,” and “The Pocket” are any indication, Andy Grammy—erm, we mean Grammer— not only has talent, but a big heart for romance. Listen to see if he’s talking about you in his equally swoon-worthy song “Build Me a Girl.”
9. His dad is Grammy-nominated children’s singer and songwriter, Red Grammer. Andy said he encouraged him in his music and taught him he should be nice to everyone.
10. Andy LOVES his fans. Andy signed hundreds of copies of his EP so his fans could take home a special gift from him. He also stayed after his performance to take pictures and sign autographs for everyone.
Need more? Click here for his interview with MyEveryzine! Tell ME: Which Andy Grammer song are you obsessed with?